Liandri
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liandri

The forum offers unofficial support for UnrealEd users and serves as a comfortable rest-room for a friendly community.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Any interest in a contest? [UT2004]

Go down 
+2
PhoenixWing
Admin
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Any interest in a contest? [UT2004] Empty
PostSubject: Any interest in a contest? [UT2004]   Any interest in a contest? [UT2004] Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 12:10 am

Hi,
I have an idea for a little contest. I'm in the middle of building some Maya inspired buildings and what-not and we could have a contest where every contestant makes an Onslaught or vCTF map with these assets.
The rules would be as follows:

• Every building and asset provided in the mapping template has to be used somewhere in the map
  • You may modify existing assets but they have to remain clearly identifyable
  • You may add as many of your own assets as you like, but the level has to be based on the provided assets regardless. Ie, you can add five of your own pyramids to mine but you may not make a space-ship map and just have my assets in an Unreal-2-like hologram in a room somewhere.
  • The terrain and with it the whole surrounding environment has to be earth-based. It does not have to be a rendition of a real place or look photorealistic, but it should not have huge glowing mushrooms or 25 foot tall crystal shards, etc.
  • For some more variety you will have to post a time of day in here. This time and the lighting conditions people associate with it are reserved for you then. Other contestants have to pick a different time then. Examples: Late dusk/ early dawn; early dusk/ late dawn; noon; night
I won't be providing too much. Some variations of a house, a pyramid with a chichen itza inspired outside and a deathmatchy inside, a huge stone "well", at least one cheaply made serpent head, a small wall and stairs, a big pillar, some variations of a small pillar, a 3d head relief of a stylized head inspired by the reliefs in the nunnery of chichen itza, and maybe some other things, but I'm not sure yet.
Once we have at least two contestants we will start the content and during the first two weeks I will take requests for 4 more models of things. New contestants can join at any time during the running contest but I won't be taking requests after the first two weeks.

As this contest (like the whole forum) is primarily aimed at newbies, feel free to join even if you are a real rookie to UnrealEd. If you have any question, the forum is open for you and you can even request tutorials!

The jury will consist of me (Murphy) and I will take your skill-level into account. This isn't to say that the better map doesn't have a better chance to win, but it means I will try to be as fair as possible to give newbies the same chance as more advanced contestants. I will write a detailed review for every submitted map to make the scoring as transparent as possible and everyone will have three days after the last review is posted to express their opinion.

So, who's in? Smile

Go here for the active contest!

Last edited by Admin on Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://liandri.darkbb.com
PhoenixWing

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a contest? [UT2004]   Any interest in a contest? [UT2004] Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 2:10 am

Count the phoenix in Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Murphy

Murphy

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a contest? [UT2004]   Any interest in a contest? [UT2004] Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 8:58 am

Welcome at Liandri, PhoenixWing! Awesome to have you aboard!

PhoenixWing asked this over at the beyond unreal forums:
Quote :
I'll give it a go. So we can only use the SM's in the template asset
pack? I know we can make custom meshes but can we use packs such as
HumanoidArchitecture? Can we custom script some new weapons? Apart from
that this sounds like fun! Count me in
You can use everything that came with the game, everything somebody else made and allowed you to use (including everything I posted in the sharing and caring section!) and of course everything you created on your own. You just have to use all of the provided assets in way in which they are still recognizable.

The assets aren't all StaticMeshes, btw. Smile
Some (if not most) are brush constructions. This makes it easier to modify them if you wish to do so. Like break a hole into a wall or move a door around.

The way the assets will be provided is arranged in a diagonal line in a subtracted cube. You can open that template map and build your map next to it and to use the assets you can just take them and duplicate them over to your part of the map. As they are arranged in a diagonal line you have easy access to them from every viewport. When you are done you can delete the template cube.

Once we have at least one other contestant I will post a small pictured how-to. I want this to be as rookie-friendly as possible.
Back to top Go down
PhoenixWing

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a contest? [UT2004]   Any interest in a contest? [UT2004] Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 2:14 am

Sounds like it'll be a blast. Glad to hear its not just the preset ones as that would be a little hard Very Happy So who dares challenge the Phoenix?
Back to top Go down
Shadowwill

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a contest? [UT2004]   Any interest in a contest? [UT2004] Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 12:15 am

im interested, but i wont be able to start for another month form now (school deadlines)
Back to top Go down
Benjamin385

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a contest? [UT2004]   Any interest in a contest? [UT2004] Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 1:28 am

I'll Give it an try don't have that much experience with Unreal ED but i am slowly finishing my level.

Might as well Challenge you Pheniex (SP?)
Back to top Go down
PhoenixWing

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a contest? [UT2004]   Any interest in a contest? [UT2004] Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 5:09 am

Whats SP mean? Glad to hear that theres going to be a competition after all! Should be good experience for us all.
Back to top Go down
Murphy

Murphy

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a contest? [UT2004]   Any interest in a contest? [UT2004] Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 8:29 am

SP means "spelling" in this case.

Welcome aboard, Benjamin385!
Back to top Go down
PhoenixWing

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a contest? [UT2004]   Any interest in a contest? [UT2004] Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 11:29 pm

So now that we have a few people, are we going to get this train rolling? Itching to start Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Murphy

Murphy

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a contest? [UT2004]   Any interest in a contest? [UT2004] Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 12:43 am

If this is ok with you all we can wait until Shadowwill is done with his school work so he can join too.
Back to top Go down
Shadowwill

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a contest? [UT2004]   Any interest in a contest? [UT2004] Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 5:13 pm

you can start without me if you wish. unless you really want me to compete?
Back to top Go down
stocko2k

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a contest? [UT2004]   Any interest in a contest? [UT2004] Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 4:44 am

hi spotted the thread on the beyondunreal forum about the competition whens it starting and what kinda time are we going to be given to complete the map???
i'm pretty interested in taking part as i havent used unreal in a while now as i have been learning ut3 and crytek.
Back to top Go down
Murphy

Murphy

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a contest? [UT2004]   Any interest in a contest? [UT2004] Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 9:14 am

I was thinking a month, but I am open to suggestions.

Go here for the active contest and to see the kind of content you get to work with and grab the download to get started! The contest is already running, but you can still join!

Go here to promote your WIP screenshots from your creation for the contest or to check out what others are working on!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any interest in a contest? [UT2004]   Any interest in a contest? [UT2004] Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any interest in a contest? [UT2004]
Page 1 of 1