Liandri
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liandri

The forum offers unofficial support for UnrealEd users and serves as a comfortable rest-room for a friendly community.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

[UT2] Grouping models?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Shadowwill

[UT2] Grouping models? Empty
PostSubject: Re: [UT2] Grouping models?   [UT2] Grouping models? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 7:56 pm

hey again, i think i read somewhere you can add models to a custom group so you can find them again quickly and have your own set of favourites. is this possibly? if so how do i do it? thankyou
Back to top Go down
Murphy

Murphy

PostSubject: Re: [UT2] Grouping models?   [UT2] Grouping models? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 10:15 pm

I split your original topic and created a new topic for the question in your post above mine here. There is enough room on this forum so everybody can creata a seperate topic for all their questions. If the topic title matches the content as closely as possible people just browsing the forums because they a) look for a topic they might be able to help in or b) look for a topic with help to their own problem, have a significantly easier job. Due to the a people following this simple rule also means you will get help faster and better.
I admit it seems like a non-issue if the forum is basically run by me alone and there is only a question a month, if even that, but let's do this properly anyway. You never know. The forum might just grow a bit. Smile

To answer your question:
You will have to be a bit more specific about what you mean by "models". Do you mean StaticMeshes, Prefabs or player/weapon-models or how do you want the grouping to work?

If you want to assign a bunch of actors to a group so you can easily hide/un-hide or select them later on you should read this mini-tutorial about the group browser I just wrote:
Click me!

You can also save parts of your map, including emitters, lights, etc. as so-called "Prefabs". You can later place those Prefabs in your map. This is usefull if you have the same corridor more than once.
I think you can just select all the actors you want in the Prefab, open the Prefab browser and click Create Prefab From Selection or something similar.
I can post closer instructions if you want me to.

The third possible meaning of your question I can think of is to seperate your StaticMeshes (or Textures or any other type of content that is saved in packages for that matter) into different groups inside a package so you can more easily find them. For example: If you have a hundred StaticMeshes in your myLevel package it can be hard to find what you want in the browser. You can group them to groups like Ceiling, Wallmeshes, Lamps, etc. To do that simply enter a descriptive group name in the "Group" field of the little window that pops up if you import or create a StaticMesh (/Texture/Sound/Script/etc.).

If you meant something else please ask again.
Back to top Go down
Shadowwill

PostSubject: Re: [UT2] Grouping models?   [UT2] Grouping models? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 10:35 pm

yeah i meant static meshes, im too used to calling them models hehe. here is what i read on the RO forums and it turns out it was you !

If you are browsing through StaticMesh-packages and you find an object that could fit into your map but you don´t know where yet, you can simply add it into the UnrealEd "void". That way you don´t have to remember the package it was in and you can easily use it later on if you can need it.
If the StaticMesh is completely (!) in the void and has no connection to the map, it isn´t rendered in-game. That means, that you have any disadvantages of your "StaticMesh-gallery" while testing the map.

thats what id like to do, so if i come across a nice static mesh i can add it to my list of 'favs'. So whats this 'void'?
Back to top Go down
Murphy

Murphy

PostSubject: Re: [UT2] Grouping models?   [UT2] Grouping models? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 10:48 pm

Ah, ok, I see. This isn't really something technical. Laughing
The 'void' is simply a piece of map out side the playable area of the map. Unchartered land, so to speak. Just zoom out on your top-view and place them somewhere beside the map.

Don't forget to delete them from there before you release your map.
Back to top Go down
Shadowwill

PostSubject: Re: [UT2] Grouping models?   [UT2] Grouping models? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 11:21 pm

ah i see, i was hoping it would be where i could store my own favourites. thats another i dont really like about unrealED, you have to open up these packages and you have no idea whats in them ! then browsing through them is a pain. A side question id like to ask, in your maps posted on this forums, which look great by the way, did you make any of the models/static meshes? and one more thing, could you create a tutorial on creating terrain ? it would be most useful Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Murphy

Murphy

PostSubject: Re: [UT2] Grouping models?   [UT2] Grouping models? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 10:08 am

I actually made most of the StaticMeshes in my maps. I only copy stuff that is either so simply that creating a new one would just be copying the existing one because there is almost no way of making it different (like some rock walls or rocks. I had to make the long straight ones for the central area myself though), or stuff that is too complicated for me to make myself (like the statues in the central area of CTF-Wasnuni). Sometimes I stumble upong something cool that I just want to put somewhere but it's rare.

Terrain tutorial. Hmm. I could do that but it would take a while. I'm busy with university at the moment but I can see what I can do on the weekend.

Here is a link to the UDN terrain tutorial. Mine won't be better. Just shorter, maybe.
Click me!
Back to top Go down
Shadowwill

PostSubject: Re: [UT2] Grouping models?   [UT2] Grouping models? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 3:11 pm

cool. what are you studying at uni ? i can see your level design work is very good so i can see you doing something artistic Smile
Back to top Go down
Murphy

Murphy

PostSubject: Re: [UT2] Grouping models?   [UT2] Grouping models? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 7:37 pm

Almost. I don't want to go into detail but it has absolutely nothing to do with visual art.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [UT2] Grouping models?   [UT2] Grouping models? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[UT2] Grouping models?
Page 1 of 1