Liandri
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liandri

The forum offers unofficial support for UnrealEd users and serves as a comfortable rest-room for a friendly community.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I am making a wal-mart based map

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Doctor

I am making a wal-mart based map Empty
PostSubject: I am making a wal-mart based map   I am making a wal-mart based map Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 3:21 am

I am making a wal-mart based map, for killing floor but i am currently stuck on something.

im trying to implement a moving helicopter with a spot light that follows its movment on the ground like what you would see in a movie in some quarantined area or something.

any ways i thought of making the helicopter a moving static mesh and having a movable light but im not to sure on it because i tried it and failed miserably...

btw i will be quite active here.
Back to top Go down
Murphy

Murphy

PostSubject: Re: I am making a wal-mart based map   I am making a wal-mart based map Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 4:17 am

Make a static, translucent cone of light part of the helicopter model and then attach a dynamic projector to it that projects a black texture with a white spot in the middle and acts as the actual lamp.
About projectors and how to attach actors to movers.
The rotating helicopter blades are probably best made as a static part of the heli-model as well, with only the texture rotating. You can download my map KF-Dammage and use my helicopter model. It's a modification of a helicopter model that comes with the game, but it's open in the back and has rotating blades.

Then it's down to making the helicopter move somewhat convincingly. I'd say just letting it hover around a bit is your best bet.
Back to top Go down
Doctor

PostSubject: Re: I am making a wal-mart based map   I am making a wal-mart based map Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 5:26 am

Murphy wrote:
Make a static, translucent cone of light part of the helicopter model and then attach a dynamic projector to it that projects a black texture with a white spot in the middle and acts as the actual lamp.
About projectors and how to attach actors to movers.
The rotating helicopter blades are probably best made as a static part of the heli-model as well, with only the texture rotating. You can download my map KF-Dammage and use my helicopter model. It's a modification of a helicopter model that comes with the game, but it's open in the back and has rotating blades.

Then it's down to making the helicopter move somewhat convincingly. I'd say just letting it hover around a bit is your best bet.

i was going to just have it hover around but yeah thanks.
Back to top Go down
Doctor

PostSubject: Re: I am making a wal-mart based map   I am making a wal-mart based map Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 10:21 pm

i cant find the helicopter XD i saw them fly overhead but that was it =/
Back to top Go down
Murphy

Murphy

PostSubject: Re: I am making a wal-mart based map   I am making a wal-mart based map Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 10:56 pm

Open the StaticMesh browser and in the line where it says the package (22Patch by default, I think) click and select "myLevel" from the list. Then click on All so every group is displayed. The model should be somewhere near the top then.
Back to top Go down
Doctor

PostSubject: Re: I am making a wal-mart based map   I am making a wal-mart based map Icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 4:40 am

okay well im having trouble with the projector, i dont really know how to explain the problem but yeah XD
Back to top Go down
Murphy

Murphy

PostSubject: Re: I am making a wal-mart based map   I am making a wal-mart based map Icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 9:43 am

Well, try then. Don't know what to tell you. Razz
Maybe a screenshot would help?
Back to top Go down
Doctor

PostSubject: Re: I am making a wal-mart based map   I am making a wal-mart based map Icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 7:40 am

i'm trying to create a spotlight type thing using a projector,

so i go to actors and look at all the projectors.
I then try them or most of them.
the only one i could get light to show with was the headlight projector it then projected the light onto a wall but it was tiled instead of just in one spot (tiled like when you have your desktop background set to tile rather than stretch or center.)

but once i tried to change the texture it continued to do the same thing.
I then tried other projectors but i couldn't get anything to show up.

i have never used a projector so i don't quite know how to even manipulate it to my desired effect =/

sorry about my punctuation, but hey at least my grammar is decent =3
Back to top Go down
Murphy

Murphy

PostSubject: Re: I am making a wal-mart based map   I am making a wal-mart based map Icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 7:51 am

Textures tile by default. To make them not tile you have to open their properties in the Texture Browser, go to Texture and change both TC_Wraps to TC-Clamp. Don't do this with a texture in one of the stock-packages! This will change the file. Instead use a texture, preferably in your myLevel package. You can either duplicate the texture you want into your myLevel package or create your own and import it.

The projector to use is the DynamicProjector. You don't have to follow the tree to the end in the Actor Browser. Just click on Dynamic Projector (e.g. not the tac-light) and add that.
Back to top Go down
Doctor

PostSubject: Re: I am making a wal-mart based map   I am making a wal-mart based map Icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 7:57 am

okay i'll start from there and i'll tell you the outcome
Back to top Go down
Doctor

PostSubject: Re: I am making a wal-mart based map   I am making a wal-mart based map Icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 8:05 am

okay so i have the projector using the selected texture after importing it to mylevel and changing the tc wraps to clamps

but i cant see anything being projected onto the wall i have it faced at ( i just moved the projector up and kept it at its default direction and its facing a wall ) ( i also just used a corona from another package)

i have built all light and geometry but still nothing has become visible
Back to top Go down
Murphy

Murphy

PostSubject: Re: I am making a wal-mart based map   I am making a wal-mart based map Icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 9:19 pm

Hmm. I made a quick test map for you. Maybe it helps if you open it up and look at how I did it there. I advise against just copy+pasting the heli from this map because it really doesn't look too good. The light is too bright and there is no light-source in the model, the heli is completely horizontal, no cone of light, etc. But maybe it helps if you just compare properties a bit.

If this doesn't help, post again and I'll walk you through how I did what I did in that map step-by-step.

Helitest map on MediaFire
Back to top Go down
Doctor

PostSubject: Re: I am making a wal-mart based map   I am making a wal-mart based map Icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 10:46 pm

ah one thing i did different that i noticed right off the bat, was i made my er your heli a mover so i gave it a sound under mover loop rather than add sound emiters.

but it looks realy good, also would the projector be attached to the heli if i gave it key frames?
Back to top Go down
Doctor

PostSubject: Re: I am making a wal-mart based map   I am making a wal-mart based map Icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 10:48 pm

I also really like your skybox, mine is okay but yeah here ill give you my map so you can have a look at what i have done so far.
Back to top Go down
Doctor

PostSubject: Re: I am making a wal-mart based map   I am making a wal-mart based map Icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 11:12 pm

how do you change the brightness of the projected texture?

er i guess looking at a bunch of different textures witht he projector the more white it is the brighter it becomes. therefore i will try changing a texture to add more gray and test that.

im useing the texture metalhitkf.dds

so i edited the brightness to -121 from 0
and the contrast to -35 fromt he original and im about to test it

it didnt seem to do much, except i now have a box around the projected texture and i cant get rid of it so im going to delete the texture and copy yours again.

but i have to go to work now for 7 hours so yeah ill be back soon =/
Back to top Go down
Murphy

Murphy

PostSubject: Re: I am making a wal-mart based map   I am making a wal-mart based map Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 2:39 am

Doctor wrote:
ah one thing i did different that i noticed right off the bat, was i made my er your heli a mover so i gave it a sound under mover loop rather than add sound emiters.

but it looks realy good, also would the projector be attached to the heli if i gave it key frames?
I just used sound emitters so I could use more at a time to make it louder. Otherwise I would have had to export the sound, make it louder in audacity and import it again. Technically you can use the mover sounds too. The Loop sound isn't played constantly while it's looping though, but whenever it completes one loop, if I remember correctly.

The projector doesn't have keyframes. It's attached to the mover via the attach tag. Under movement. Wherever the mover goes, the projector goes. The link about attaching actors I gave you should explain it. bHardAttach should be set to true so changes in rotation affect it too. Otherwise it just travels with it but isn't really stuck to it, if you know what I mean.

The brightness of the projector is changed by changing the brightness of the projected texture. Depending on how you blend it (projector properties -> projector -> FrameBufferBlendingOp) the parts that should not affect the environment either have to be 0 black or 128 gray. If you chose Add as a blend type black would do nothing, for example, and everything brighter than black would brighten the environment. If you chose modulate 128 gray won't do anything and everything brighter will brighten and everything darker will darken. The spot light projector on the heli in the test map is set to Add, so the texture is black with a white spot on it. If you want it less bright just reduce the brightness of the white spot. If you check out KF-Fabulous (also here on the sight) you can examine the shadows trees or lanterns cast. They're done with projectors too, but they're set to modulate so their projected texture is gray with a dark shadow painted on it. If you want to change the brightness of a texture like that you have to make sure you keep the 128gray intact.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I am making a wal-mart based map   I am making a wal-mart based map Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I am making a wal-mart based map
Page 1 of 1